Its Spring! What seeds will you be sowing?
There’s no doubt by the end of Winter we’re all longing for the sun to heat us up and our fuel tank’s to be brimming with energy.
Mother Nature may take care of one wish here, but there’s also an active part we can take in helping our bodies and minds to feel revitalized and renewed.
In Eastern medicine, Spring time is connected to the WOOD element, the organs of the Liver and Gallbladder, the emotion of anger and the sound of shouting. In terms of function in our body, these organs work very similarly to the fuel and air filters of our cars – the Liver tirelessly filters and cleans our blood from unwanted toxins and bugs whilst its companion, the Gallbladder, creates and stores bile which is required to break down the fats in our diet.
Do we need them to be working effectively? You bet!
So what does it physically feel like when our Wood element is imbalanced? We may experience:
- Headaches or migraines
- Muscular tension and pain – especially around the neck, shoulders & ribs
- Tendon and ligament problems
- Eye problems
- Menstrual problems – PMS, heavy bleeding, irregular
- Digestive issues – especially bloating, gas, alternating constipation & diarrohea
- Dry, brittle, thickened nails
- High blood pressure
Within us, the Wood element governs our sense of vision for the future – our ability to not only write the plan, but to ACT on it. We must be able to see both new possibilities and the wisdom of the past. Together they show us the clear and appropriate course of action to take. So we could say, that without Wood’s vision and plan, decision and direction, no movement is possible – there is only frustration.
I’m sure we have all felt the anger and frustration that has arisen from a well laid plan getting thwarted before it even got off the ground, being blocked by someone or something. The pressure builds inside of us and we feel like shouting out! A balanced Wood element in this instance means we level out, readjust and begin again. What of those people whose Wood element is chronically imbalanced, who can’t level out?
They may feel a little like this…
- Feeling blocked in all directions
- Interaction with others seems to turn into confrontations
- Unable to see direction, make a plan = life feels chaotic
- Can’t quite see the big picture, stuck on the details
- Difficult to make decisions
If we have listened and followed Nature’s way during Winter, we have emerged rested and raring to go with clear vision and a sense of purpose. Now is the time to plant the seeds you wish to harvest in the future, look ahead and make new plans, formulate new ideas, make decisions and determine our direction for the coming year – and to take action!
My top tips on what you can do during Spring to support the Wood element:
- Start your day with movement – anything from a brisk walk, Qi Gong, yoga, ride or walk to work instead of the bus or car
- Eat more greens! From seaweeds to spinach to parsley to bok choy and everything in between.
- Keep hydrated consume 2 litres of filtered water per day – add some lemon juice to your morning glass of room-temperature water
- Make a garden, get your hands dirty, plant those seeds and watch the bursting upward and outward energy of Spring transform your home.
- Invite new things into your life – new projects, new connections and friendships and new ways of seeing things.
- Enjoy some Acupuncture and herbal medicine to assist in detoxing the body and generally give us an extra boost along!
During September I will be offering a 20% saving to the first 5 people who purchase a “4 x 1 hr Treatment Package”
For further information contact Kim on 0416 219 973
Terms: Packages are booked as weekly appointments and are non-transferrable and non-refundable.